Monday, April 6, 2009

Spring has Sprung at last!!!!

"If we had no winter, the spring would not be so pleasant; if we did not sometimes taste of adversity, prosperity would not be so welcome." - Anne Bradstreet

Anne - it's going to be a glorious spring because winter was hellacious!


It's been a loooooooong winter. Tooooooo long!!!!!!!


We finally have a few days of Spring in Eastern Oregon. This past weekend was a break from sitting around the fireplace reading books. The lawn was mowed - yeah, the mower started - flower seeds were planted - and yes, we played golf. I still need to wash the cars - ah, if there only was a little more time. Oh well.


The golf game is a little rusty - but we sure enjoyed getting out for a nice walk. The pace of play on Saturday was a little slow - lotza other golfers - but I didn't mind - at least we were outside. Sunday was much better.


Connie and I started a new class at the Pendleton Art Center. The Art Center offers several art classes each quarter - very relaxed atmosphere. It's interesting how life makes a full circle. While in college, I'd worked in a jewelry store for a few years. Much of the work was in the back room - engraving and minor watch and jewelry repair. Sooooo, I was excited about the class Connie wanted us to take - jewelry making.


Our first project is a relatively simple piece of jewelry - I'm making a broach for a necklace. We plan to make rings in a few weeks. It's just a four week class. I'll probably make a neckerchief slide for Scouts. ?? There was an elderly gentleman, Lee, that was sitting in our class. Lee was just observing the class, he'd apparently made a lot of jewelry in the past. Lee had a centrifugal casting devise used to make rings. We weren't too sure why he was in the class - just observing. So after about 20 minutes the teacher asked if he wanted to do anything. He indicated the reason he was there was to give the centrifugal devise (I'm sure there is a formal name) to somebody in the class that had a lot of interest. He apparently like what Connie and I were doing - so he gave it to us. WOW. The teacher said this is worth a lot of $$$. So, I'm planning to make Lee a Bolo tie with a western theme.


I'm also planning to help Scouts make a neckerchief slides for themselves. It'd be great to have individualized slides. Who knows - maybe we'll really get into this. I'm not sure there is room in the garage for another hobby. Good thing they don't have a garage cleaning class - I'd fail!!!


We'll post pictures of our ~fine~ projects in a few weeks - hope for the best.

"The music that really turns me on is either running toward God or away from God. Both recognize the pivot, that God is at the center of the jaunt." Bono



No comments:

Post a Comment